Well our time here is coming to a close. This will be my last post on our trip to Florida. We have enjoyed the two months we spent living at The Villages and visiting surrounding areas. As with all places you visit, you always learn something. Listed below is what we learned:
- Overheard in The Villages:
- He said: “I am under the Frog Plan here in The Villages.”
- She said: “What is the Frog Plan?”
- He said: “I’m here until I croak.”
- Pelicans, cranes, cardinals, ospreys, bald eagles, alligators and “people over 60” are very commonplace.
- Shelby takes a while but can adapt to new locations and especially learn to play with other dogs in the dog park.
- Ticks are just as plentiful in Florida as in Maine. (I got about 6 tick bites and John got none. The ticks are so tiny and look just like my freckles so it is difficult to always find them.)
- The Villages is like living “Under the Dome.” Everything is perfect in this planned community. Everyday is like Groundhog Day. Or as they say in Seinfeld, we are in Del Boca Vista Phase II. (John)
- If you are bored here it is your own fault. There are so many activities to choose from. But you have to want to join.
- We got to photograph Thelma and Louise. Okay it was really Sharon Slavin and Sharon Krawczyk but don’t tell them they’re not Thelma and Louise.
- There are 630 holes of golf here so if you are a golfer this is the place for you. The 9-hole courses are all free and you pay a small fee for the 18-hole courses. (We are not golfers.)
- If you find a hill or steep area, you are not in Florida. We will have a hard time trying to hike in Maine after the flatness of this area.
Half Moon Wlldlife Recreation Area
- According to the billboards, “It is always a beautiful day in The Villages.”
- Having 70-80 degree temperatures sure beats getting snow in March and April.
- We did not find anyone we talked to here that did not like living in The Villages.
So you are probably wondering if we are ready to move here?
John: No! I’m too young to be here and it’s too busy.
Cheryl: I’d love it. Having so many choices of activities is right up my alley.
Hope you have enjoyed our posts over the last two months.